Friday, April 12, 2013

DIY | Chalkboard Coasters


Still on the chalkboard tip, I thought I'd combine it with my love for making coasters. I feel like everyone needs these in their life...they're fun. Make some!! It was pretty simple...even simpler if you just keep the bottom white but, I love color so no can do for me lol.


Materials:
I got everything from Lowe's, except the different colored spray paints and glue. I got those from Michaels. They also sell spray paint in Lowe's, however. So you can pretty much get everything on this list at that one place. They probably have that glue at Lowe's too. 
  • Tiles
  • Primer spray paint
  • Chalkboard spray paint
  • Spray paint in multiple colors (optional)
  • Painter's tape
  • 3/8" Felt pads
  • E-6000 glue (or whatever strong glue you own)

Instructions:
1. Spray the top side with primer. I let it dry for 24 hours. Once dried, I taped around the edges of the top so when I spray color on the bottom, it wouldn't get on the other side. (sidenote: I'm only using primer on the top because the chalkboard spray paint recommended it and I get good coverage with regular spray paint without primer.)



2. Spray desired colors on the bottom side. I let this dry for 24 hours as well. After completely dried, remove painter's tape.


3. Apply painters tape on the sides so the chalkboard spray paint wont get on the nice colors you just applied to the bottom. Wipe off the top side with a damp rag to remove any dust or debris.


4. Spray on chalkboard paint. Follow the manufactures instructions on the spray can. I sprayed 3 or 4 coats, then let it completely dry for 24 hours and sprayed another 3 or 4 coats. Allow the final coat to dry for 24 hours before removing painter's tape.




5. Glue felt pads close to the corners on the bottom side of each coaster.


6. Instructions on the chalkboard spray can state to rub a piece of chalk on the surface to prepare it for use. After that, you're all done!!!

Again, you can make this even simpler by keeping the bottom white. Black and white would be cool too. Give it a try!

Stay Inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment